This September, Bike Baton Rouge will be participating in the National Bicycle and Pedestrian Documentation Project for the first time - and we need your help!
The project is an effort to count pedestrians and bicyclists nationally, and to provide data for bicycle and pedestrian advocates (like Bike Baton Rouge), as well as governmental organizations and planners with the hopes that these counts will help to put more (and better) bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure into the ground - and making bicycling and walking safer and more enjoyable.
In our case, this data will also be used to support local projects. We'll be providing the counts to our friends at various government and non-government organizations - and we'll be utilizing the counts ourselves in an exciting report about bicycling in Baton Rouge that we'll be releasing later this year.
The counts will occur at two times - on Tuesday, September 12th (5pm - 7pm) and Saturday, September 16th (12pm - 2pm), in around ten locations in Baton Rouge. We'll work with you - our volunteers - to assign you a location as convenient to you as possible (we'll try our best, we swear!)
So - how do the counts work, and how can you help?
1) Register to volunteer for the counts HERE!
2) There will be an optional (but recommended) training session at our next General Meeting on Thursday, September 7th. If you won't make it or are just curious, you can download all of the count instructions and documentations here. We'll finalize a time and location for this meeting a little closer to the date of the meeting.
3) You'll receive a count package, including counting and recording materials (clipboards, pens, etc) and some free Bike BR swag in return for your help!
4) On the count days, you'll make your way out to the count locations, complete your counts, and then send them to us (phone, email, snail mail, carrier pigeon, anything is fine!). You can sign up for just one of the two count days, or for both of them!
5) Bike Baton Rouge will collate your data, submit it to the National Bicycle and Pedestrian Documentation Project, and publish it on our website for the whole world to see.
Interested? Click HERE and we'll get back to you with more information.
Thanks for supporting Bike Baton Rouge!